A large Connemara Chimneypiece by Henry Whitaker for The Conservative Club, St James, London.
The breakfront shelf with decorative bronze moulding of half-flute and dart, sits on
wide-panelled jambs with plinths. The interior fire opening has a brass frame with egg and dart moulding.
The chimneypiece from The Conservative Club, 74 St James, London and later removed to West House, Glebe Place,
London designed by Philip Webb in 1868 (see image).
The Survey of London, (a history of London’s buildings) states for No.74 St James’s Street, the following architectural details:
“The Library (plate 111b) is divided in the same manner as the dining-room below it, this time by
square, panelled Corinthian columns on pedestals. The doors are of mahogany but the bookcases
and other woodwork are of oak, and even the heavily beamed ceiling is grained in imitation. The
columns and their pedestals are of multi-coloured scagliola with gilt mouldings. The chimneypieces
are of a yellowish-green marble with mirrors above them in pedimented wooden frames.”
In original condition.
External Width: 111¾”
External Height: 49″
Internal Width: 60¼”
Internal Height: 39″
Width across jamb: 22″