Request a quote
For pricing or more information on this item please enter
your email address below.

A Large Connemara Chimneypiece by Henry Whitaker

A large Connemara Chimneypiece by Henry Whitaker for The Conservative Club, St James, London. The shelf with decorative bronze moulding of half-flute and dart, sits on wide panelled jambs with plinths. The interior fire opening has a brass frame with egg and dart moulding.

The chimneypiece from The Conservative Club, 74 St James, London and later removed to West House, Glebe Place, London designed by Philip Webb in 1868 (see image).
The Survey of London, (a history of London's buildings) states for No.74 St James's Street, the following architectural details:

"The Library (plate 111b) is divided in the same manner as the dining-room below it, this time by square, panelled Corinthian columns on pedestals. The doors are of mahogany but the bookcases and other woodwork are of oak, and even the heavily beamed ceiling is grained in imitation. The columns and their pedestals are of multi-coloured scagliola with gilt mouldings. The chimneypieces are of a yellowish-green marble with mirrors above them in pedimented wooden frames."

Circa 1843-5

Dimensions
Width
111¾ INS
Height
49 INS
Depth
14¼ INS
Stock no.
ECCP1550